Tuesday 5 July 2011

asking nothing in return...

I learned a very important lesson from a man in our church today.  If I start living it my "light" will be  a lot brighter.

 Let me explain.

Being home all of the time is not such a good thing for my personality. I have to tell myself not to clean... or organize.. or paint... or garden... so that I don't lose my childrens younger years by being busy doing things that in the long run dont really matter.  ( Dont get me wrong... there is nothing wrong with any of that stuff.... I do it all when the kids go to bed.... I just have to consiously decide not to do it ALL the time.) Anyway, this spring I had a few BIG things on my  "little" to-do list. 
Number 1-- build a deck. (Greg and Drew have that one!)
Number 2-- the dreaded hill must have a purpose. ie: either grass or a garden.... the garden won. I can almost check that off my list.  
Number 3-- get the horrible baby blue off my house! This house is so 70's... to much was painted and too many colours used! I wanted to do this job myself... however, my loving husband was concerned about me dying on a ladder so he asked a man in our church to come before I had a chance to die. ( I would have had it done months ago... but I chose not to do it because he didnt want me to... :) good girl I know... and I got a blessing out of it too!)

Anyway, "man" stopped by a few nights ago to check what needed to be done. All we asked of him was for him to paint the blue parts at the top of our house. After all, he is a professional painter who has ladders that are meant to be climbed on! When he came by, after already working a 60 hour week (and it was only Thursday),... he said no problem to the painting ... and that he was going to come by and pressure wash the house and clean the gutters before he got started.

Tonight he came....

and after 2 hours of work... my house is beyond spottless and smells like bleach!!! (which I LOVEEEEEEE!!!). You wouldnt even know It was the same house. Well... maybe not literally, but it really is squeaky clean and BRIGHT white!!!!  So on top of pressure washing the main house and the BLACK gutters.... he pressure washed my shed... and.... all of my kids toys.... all out of his own free will. After Greg and I came out to admire our new home...He hopped into his truck and said it was time for a shower! I didnt hear "man that was a lot of work", or "boy its hot out here..."

He literally wont let us pay him. He wants nothing from us. I will find a way around that..:)... but still. Wow.

Pastor Homan always told us that the Christian life starts in the second mile. Every person is required to do what is asked of them... but a Christian goes the second and third and fourth mile and on... because we are to be different.

We are to go above and beyond expecting NOTHING in return.

I am amazed at the blessing of a child of God. This "man" has been used of the Lord to teach me a GREAT lesson. May I too go well beyond what I am asked to do... what a challenge to my heart.

1 comment:

  1. What a great example that man is. Thanks for sharing this important reminder of how we are to live as Christians!

    ReplyDelete