Tuesday 16 August 2011

back to reality...

There is always so much anticipation surrounding vacations! I love the hype... and the true desire to "just get away". Kaela pictured this feeling perfectly the morning we left for the airport 3 weeks ago. We had been doing a countdown for oh 27 days, so when we got to 2 more sleeps she decided it was time to go to Nana and Papa's right then. She clearly was tired of counting! One more sleep came... then packing... then the morning of! I could have asked her to do anything and she would have said, "Yes, Mommy, I will do that." Too cute!

So when Nannie pulled up to get us, Kael waved faster than her hand could even handle and ran towards the car while dragging (and I mean dragging) her suitcasebehind her, just to tell Nannie that she was going on an airplane to see Nana and Papa! The whole way there she just kept saying, "We are going on an airplane, right Mommy!" Every person we met in the airport found out where we were going... and of course the fact that we were going on an airplane! I think we all feel like that when we are going away... she can just get away with all the excitement and still be cute. I think if I tried that I may be put in my room and told not to come out for a while! ha.




The vacation was even better than expected...if that's even possible! The first week mom and dad both worked but we still got to spend evenings together and some random trips here and there. Visiting my grandparents (or great nan and GG) is always on the top of the list. Kael did a great job while we visited. The weeks consisted of swimming in the pool Nana bought her, playing with Abby and Jacob, trips to IKEA, pedicures, a trip to the cottage, and AFRICAN LION SAFARI (where she was more excited about riding a bus like Boppie than looking at the animals! I think I could have bought bus fair in London for $2 and saved myself $30! haha! JK) I kept a journal to keep track of all the events and people we saw. Lots of fun to say the least. I just loved being home. I don't need to do anything... just be! And I did lots of that!

The first two weeks Greg was in Nova working so I found the parenting part of the trip exhausting. We are still fighting the pottie training battle so that was a little discouraging some days. BUT she did go poop on the pottie once while we were away! YEAH. The other 20 days... well, we wont talk about that! Look on the bright side right?????????????????:) I was very thankful when Greg arrived to lend some support! I don't know how single parents do it. I am SO thankful that we are a TEAM!

Kael and I went to pick up "daddy" at the airport on Thursday night. It was pretty late for Kael... and when she is tired we either have a night full of laughs or a night full or tears. THANKFULLY it was laughs! She asked everyone who came to pick someone up where their daddy was. HAHA. You should have seen the look on one of the guys that was picking up his girlfriend. So random! When she sees a guy and a girl together she automatically thinks "mommy and daddy". I love it. Kael was happy Daddy was "done work"! (I was too!)


The next morning we hopped in the car and began our trip to Ottawa. I seriously question whether we will ever drive to Ontario any time soon.:) Greg and I had to go to bed at 9 because we forgot to bring our monitor to listen for the kids. ha. Oh well! Turns out we needed the extra sleep for all the excitement all night long! We went and bought a monitor for night #2! Two early nights just was not happening! :) Kayleigh and John got married on the Saturday. Beautiful wedding. I loved the reception spot and the breakfast food they served! mmmmmm! We walked around parliament on Sunday before heading home... I think I would move to Ottawa. It's my new favourite city in Canada right now. 

THEN the "next" day came... my 30th birthday! 30 pairs of undies on a line with a big sign... do you think people noticed? :) I embraced the day and now I am old.
Pretty much dead actually.
haha! Just kidding. 30 is the new 10! I'm good!

Blue Jays game with Jewels and Jay, States with hubby and hanging with family finished off the week. BUSY end of the trip but FANTASTIC!

I struggled a lot leaving, as per usual. I always struggle with contentment when I am home in Ontario. It would be foolish for me to pretend otherwise. BUT GOD always gives me more grace to get up the next day and praise Him for all the blessing I have been given...! I know I am where I am supposed to be... and don't get me wrong, I am happy here. It's just not easy somedays. I think contentment is something I have to practice everyday...not just when I leave home. It makes you count your blessings... and it's an amazing peace you get when you KNOW you are "okay with the shoes you are wearing"... or the place you are in!

So now I have to blog as an old woman... at least I will be wise... RIGHT!??! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment